Cute button mushrooms soaked and bathed in olive oil, seasoned with herbs and spices all ready to be picked up and popped. These are so totally awesome!
Inspiration for these cute mushrooms is from One Perfect Bite. I saw Mary’s post and made them the next day with some changes of my own. The mushroom lovers out there – you gotta try this out. Serve them as hors d’ oeuvres, or as a side dish, with potatoes or green salad, pasta or grilled meat.
- 1⁄2 Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb. Cremini or Button Mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- 1⁄4 Cup Roasted Red Peppers or Pimento, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic, roughly minced
- 2 Green Hot Peppers, Chopped (Optional)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Heat oil in a skillet/pan over medium-high heat.
Add all the other ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are just soft, 4-6 minutes.
Transfer mushrooms to a non reactive bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours for the flavors to deepen.
Use them up within a few days; tastes best when the mushrooms still retain the crunch. Serve chilled, warm, or at room temperature.
I liked the heat in this recipe along with the other flavors that came from the hot chilli peppers I added. I you do not want the fiery kick, feel free to leave it out. With or without the hot peppers, it is an enticing diet friendly dish; sure to become a fast favorite with vegetarians and the non vegetarians.