This is probably the easiest recipe resulting in a beautiful, delicious & healthy treat.
None of us are particularly cheese lovers in our family. We do very limited things with cheese. This is one of our favorite family recipes and have turned a lot of “I do not like tofu” at all to “Oh! this is tofu?! I loved it!”.
All you need is a store bought Tandoori Paste or Tandoori powder/masala, available at all Indian Groceries. If that is not accessible to you, don’t worry for I’ll give you a list of the things you would need to make the marinade. You will not be disappointed.
The Terrific Tandoori Tofu
- 14 oz block of Extra Firm Tofu
- 4 tablespoons store bought Tandoori Paste + 1/4 cup yogurt or 2 tablespoons of store bought Tandoori Powder + 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I use the Shaan Tandoori Malasa, but any kind can be used). Add more or less depending on how spicy you want it or homemade tandoori paste (recipe below)
- 1 teaspoon oil and some more to coat the skillet or the baking pan
- 1/2 tablespoon kasuri methi – if you are not making your own paste
- fresh lime or lemon
If you do not have ready made Tandoori Paste, here is what you need:
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2″ Fresh Ginger Peeled
- 1/2 tablespoons Coriander/Dhania seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin/Jeera seeds
- 1 Tablespoons Red Chili Powder/Cayenne (Adjust amount to your tolerance)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 cloves
- 1 green cardamom
- about 1/4 cup plain thick Greek yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri/kasoori methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves, available in Indian Groceries as Kasuri Methi)
- Red or Orange Food Color – optional
To prepare the marinade:
Make a Puree of all the above ingredients, except the Food Color. Add little water while making the puree, but just enough to make a tight paste. Try not to make it runny, or else it won’t coat the Tofu.
After the puree is done, stir in & combine the food color if you are using.
If you are using store bought paste, combine paste with the yogurt and the teaspoon of oil and kasuri methi and set aside.
If you are using store bought tandoori powder/masala, combine powder with yogurt and kasuri methi and the teaspoon of oil and set aside
To prepare the Tofu:
Wrap a few paper towels around the Tofu block & gently try to squeeze out as much water as possible.
Cut the Block into 1.5 inch cubes or rectangles. Squeeze some lemon or lime juice, toss the tofu gently to coat and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
Coat the Tofu with the Tandoori paste or the homemade marinade paste or a mix of the yogurt and Tandoori masala powder & let it sit for about 15 minutes. Tofu soaks in more flavor the longer they marinade.
On the Grill:
Skewer them in, brush with oil & grill them only for a few minutes.
Cooking on the skillet:
Heat a Skillet, Coat it very lightly with oil. Place the tofu pieces on the hot skillet & grill them for a few minutes on each side.
Finish off by squeezing some freswh lemon or lime on the top.
I pan grilled them & then skewered them on the toothpick along with some onion & pepper… just Bite size pieces.
Pre heat oven to 400F. Place foil over baking tray. Coat foil with oil. Place marinated tofu in a single layer ana bake for an hour. Toss them and turn them over a few times while they are baking so all sides get done evenly. I usually throw in a few pieces of onion and bell pepper during the last half an hour of baking.
Finish with lime or lemon juice.
Note: Grill whatever veggies you want with it. I did Green Bell Peppers & Red Onions.