The heat is still at its peak. Even after a few spell of showers it has not cooled down, & knowing Texas it will not get better soon. We are still on low carb. diet. Breakfast, lunch & snacks are still mostly salads- fruits & vegetables, nuts, beans & grilled fish/chicken;
No we are not trying to lose any weight, no stiff programs, but getting ourselves used to eating light, & right.. Evening dinners are mostly regular food but less grains still. I am not putting my kids through our diet, I am cooking my for my kids, tho I must bless my stars that my kids are happy campers eating steamed vegetables & grilled food. We relax the eating habits over the weekends & once in a while give in when we really crave something. Otherwise it has been good, & less work for me; I cannot get myself to be cooking 3 meals a day in this heat, I rather spend that time with my kids while they still are at home enjoying the summer.
Well this salad had been in one of our lunch menus. We found a bottle of lemon, lavender mix in a bottle in the whole foods the other day; I immediately wanted to try it as a dressing for salad. None of us are fond of creamy salad dressings, we usually do not even have dressing in our salads other than a squeeze of lemon & some black pepper & may be some extra virgin olive oil once in a while. The lemon & the irresistible lavender worked really good.
Feel free to use whatever you want. I have some unusual things here, green mangoes, scallions, oranges, nuts, spicy sprouts & rice noodles along with other summer delicacies.
Summer Salad with Citrus Lavender Dressing
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 1/4 Cup Rice Noodles, soaked & drained (Bean thread noodles are even better)
- 1/2 Raw Green Mango, peeled, chopped into small pieces
- 2 Carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 Cup Scallions/Green Onions, both green & white part very thinly sliced
- 1.5 Cup Black Beans, cooked & drained
- 1-2 Tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- Lots of Spicy Sprouts (Alfalfa & Radish)
- Fresh Snap peas
- 1/2 Cucumber Cucumber, Peeled & diced
- Toasted Walnuts, roughly crushed
- 1/2 Cup Slices of oranges
For the dressing:
- 4 Tablespoons Organic Lemon & Lavender Mix (3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice + 1.5 Tablespoon Honey + 1/2 Teaspoon crushed dried Lavender)
- 1/4 Cup fresh Cilantro/Coriander Leaves, finely Chopped
- 1 fresh hot pepper minced
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Salt – very little (just for the balance of taste)
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing & let it sit for about 15-20 minutes for the flavors to infuse.
Combine all the salad ingredient. Add the dressing & toss & serve.
Since there is not much of a recipe here, I am posting some pictures for those of you who want to “vanish” hearing of a Salad diet; Salads can be Beautiful & Colorful!
I love this kind of veggie fruit combination in salads. For me it was meal in a plate with the beans & rice noodles added to it, & this is the kind of lunch I really enjoy. The flavors & taste was awesome, sweet, tart, spicy with the fresh crunch munch & the divine, delicate aroma of lavender.
Priya of Akshayapaatram won the last round of HHDD. She is hosting HHDD 27, & the theme is Summer Salads. This salad is going to HHDD hosted by Priya & facilitated by Denise, of Chez Us who took over the reins of this event from Bron.
Chicken & Roasted Capsicum Pasta- For HHDD