It is Indo Chinese. It is Chinese ingredients given a strange but lip smacking Indian twist. Chinese Bhel is Crispy Noodles with vegetables, tossed with sauce.
College crowd grouped in street corners and Chinese Bhel remind me very much of the street side food stall culture in India and how everything is prepared at lightning speed to cater to so many waiting in the line. And that’s where it tastes the best!! It is also a great quick fix snack for unannounced guests in the evening. So here it is – the crunchy, munchy Chinese Bhel. Enjoy!
- 2 cups noodles (Any kind noodles like small bags of Hakka noodles, Ramen or Maggi Noodles are good to use). or the ready to use Asian Chow mein noodles
- a couple of tablespoons of sev (available in Indian store) – optional
- 4-6 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
- 2 Serrano peppers chopped (Optional)
- ½ cup cabbage very finely shredded – optional
- 1/2 – 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, chopped – optional
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro/coriander very finely, chopped
- 2 stalks of green/spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon very very finely julienned fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the sauce: (adjust/modify the quantity of each of the ingredients below to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon concentrated tamarind paste + 1/2-3/4 tablespoon sugar
- a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or any hot sauce (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro mint chutney (optional)
Note: the vegetables may be used in any proportions as you wish. Some maybe omitted if you do not have them. The proportions of the sauce can be changed too, as per your taste. This is a very flexible recipe
If you are not using the ready to use noodles, break the noodles in to pieces (Do not crumble them), so they are separated, and not in clumps. Heat oil and fry the noodles at low heat, frequently tossing it around so all the noodles are cooked. It should look light brown and should be crispy to taste. Set aside.
Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce.
Place the fried noodles in the serving bowl and add all the above ingredients except the sauce. Toss.
Spoon the sauce uniformly over the noodles and toss again. Serve right away before the noodles get soggy.