Every time we visit a Mexican Restaurant, we end up ordering atleast two orders of the Spanish rice. The kids love it too. One day when I had nothing but V8, a can of red beans and some left over rice at home, I thought i would make something like the Spanish rice. It turned out pretty good, but not quite the same taste. So next time I tried it with uncooked rice and more hot peppers and black peppers to cater to our spicy taste buds.
Some evenings when I just feel like doing nothing, lazing around the backyard, and hope that food would be cooked magically without doing a thing ( I feel that pretty often:-D ), I try this quick dish. With the beans, & the vegetables it is like a meal in a dish. Here it is. Enjoy. Mind it, do change the amount of the hot peppers and black pepper to suit your taste!!
I am sending this to SAPADU READY, hosted by From the Kitchen.
- 2 cups White Rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Onion (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 4-5 cloves Garlic (very finely chopped and crushed with knife)
- 1 – 1.5 cans (Approx. 16 oz cans) Red Beans or Red Kidney Beans
- Fresh Cilantro: few spoons chopped
- Green Serrano Peppers: according to taste, Finely chopped (Optional)
- ½ cup Corn
- 2 big Carrots chopped into small pieces (Optional)
- 1 cupV8(or tomato puree or tomato juice or fresh tomato[2 cups pulsed in the blender])
- 2.5 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- Salt to taste
Add Cumin Seeds and let it get a little darker.
Add finely chopped and crushed garlic.
Add the sliced Onions and fry till they are glazed.
Add uncooked rice and fry till the rice is slightly brown.
Add green Serrano peppers, red beans, carrots, corn, and the roasted cumin powder and stir and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
Add tomato (or puree or V8).
Reduce the liquid at high heat.
Add water to boil the rice (see cooking instructions for Rice). Also can transfer everything to the Rice Cooker and follow the instructions till rice is cooked.
Add Ground Black Pepper and stir it to mix (You can adjust the amount to more or less spicy).
Sprinkle chopped fresh cilantro and cover it for sometime before serving.
This dish can be prepared with left over cooked rice. Add the cooked rice after the liquid of tomato has been reduced and stir to mix all ingredients at low heat.