Rich, irresistible and moist; packed with different types of nuts, zucchini and double dose of heavenly chocolate is this sweet, eggless, quick bread. Even though it is baked as a loaf bread, the texture and taste comes closer to a decadent chocolate cake more than that of a bread.
My MIL is going to visit us soon from India. We are so looking forward to it. It has been quite sometime since we went home and we have not met for a long time. The little one is going to meet her “Dadisa” for the very first time! and is going overboard with excitement. While the children are planning what to do and play with her through the day, I am here making a long list of recipes that I plan to post. She is one awesome cook and it is going to be good to have someone else cook, while I take the pictures and blog about it:-) So in the coming months, quite a few recipes are going to be hers.
She is a vegetarian; no eggs either. Therefore I made this bread without using eggs. The recipe can easily be changed into a Vegan one; just use vegan chocolate chips instead of the ones with dairy. A couple of more days and we can all sit together and share a slice of this delicious bread. Can’t wait, while I am having a hard time saving it from getting pecked every few minutes.
Eggless Chocolate, Zucchini, Nut Bread
- 1+ 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour + some more for dusting the nuts and chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (adjust amount and spice as per your taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6-7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons hazelnut powder, coarsely ground (I ground up the nuts at home)
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (use mini ones; they sink less) – use vegan chips for a vegan version of this bread
- 1 cup walnuts or any other nuts you would like to use, chopped
- 3/4 cup muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract or Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 cups zucchini, peeled and grated, (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, to top the bread (optional)
- Might need a few spoons of milk or water or orange juice
Soak the flaxseed meal in about 4 tablespoons of water for about 10 minutes.
Pre heat oven to 350 degree F. Generously grease and flour a 9″ loaf dish.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon & salt. Combine the cocoa powder and hazelnut powder to the sifted mix.
Dust the walnuts and chocolate chips with a couple of spoons of flour and set aside.
Beat oil, sugar, almond/vanilla extract and the soaked flaxseed meal together. Combine the sifted flour mix in small amounts to the oil and sugar mix in parts and beat while scraping the sides of the bowl. Continue doing this till all the sifted flour is incorporated and well combined. Add little amounts of milk/water/juice if the mixture gets too dry and crumbly.
Add the mashed banana and zucchini to the bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon/spatula, till well combined. The dough is going to be be sticky and gooey.
Gently fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon the dough into the loaf pan. Top with the almonds.
Bake for about 50-60 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Let the bread rest in the loaf dish for about 10 – 15 minutes. Turn it over carefully and place it on a wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing it.
The simple bread takes on a completely different turn with the sensuous chocolate. What can be better than indulging into delightful taste and sense of chocolate, bursting & melting with every bite ? There is more; the different flavors and texture of the hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds blends in perfectly with the chocolate. The zucchinis you might ask… they simply make the cake very very moist and I did not miss the eggs at all. This is my entry for the Monthly Mingle hosted by Jamie with a beautiful theme – Bread & Chocolate.